RSS
Movie Addicts Club is a movie review blog that discusses all genres of film. You'll find the latest hipster indie flick, summer blockbusters, silent screen gems and everything in between. We watch and review everything.

Wendy And Lucy




Rating: R

Movie Release Date: December 10, 2008

DVD Release Date: May 5, 2009

Plot 411: Lucy is on her way to Alaska but runs into hard times in Oregon when her dog Lucy goes missing.

Review: Michelle Williams is Wendy, a girl from Indiana making her way to Alaska for work. She's taking this journey with just her dog Lucy and her Accord. When she reaches Oregon, she gets arrested for shoplifting dog food, and while she's in jail Lucy goes missing. This is a really sad look at her life as she tries to recover her beloved pet. Williams is really good at portraying the emotional turmoil she faces during this experience. It isn't only the desperate loss of a missing pet, but the overwhelming obstacles she faces along the way that really wreak havoc on her. She is a brave girl who I think can make the trek on her own. However, she has so much invested in the animal. Lucy keeps her company, loves her and makes her feel safe. She gives Wendy confidence. Wendy is lost without her and it's heartbreaking to see the desperation in her eyes as she tries to locate her.

Watch It: Because it doesn't sugarcoat life on the road.

Skip It: Because it is a slow character drama that's basically Williams and the camera.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi sky, been having trouble posting comments on your blog. made attempts but failed, oh well. anyway, loved this movie, a bit slow like many foreign movies but great character study of Wendy who is a determined ...loser. A bit harsh maybe but I came away thinking there will be more problems for her if and when she makes it to Alaska. My favorite scene was where she finally finds her lost Lucy but realizes that her beloved dog would be better off at her new home and owners.

Over the weekend I saw a couple of movies you may be interested in..."Departure", playing at Kahala I think, a deservedly critical acclaimed Japanese movie about a young cellist who decides to give up his cello and embarks in the elegant profession of encoffining. The other was "Love Letter" another Japanese film with the lead actress playing an amazing dual role. I know that you liked "P.S. I Love You" so I have a feeling you would like this one...check it out...hemajang

Anonymous said...

btw, you may have trouble getting a copy of Love Letter, Netflix and Blockbuster doesn't offer it. Someone loaned me the dvd and I think was a bootleg copy.

skycastles said...

I'm not confident that she'll even make it to Alaska. If she does, I'm afraid she'll just freeze to death.

It's almost a given that Lucy's life will be better with anyone but Wendy. However, your fave scene is so sad. It's like when a mother has to give up her child for adoption.

My fave scene is the horrible experience she has in the woods with the crazy, homeless dude. Gave me chills!

Thanks for the movie tips. I actually thought about going to Departure this past weekend but ended up seeing G.I. Joe. So much for cinematic taste. LOL

I'll keep my eyes peeled for Love Letter. Read about it on Wikipedia and it looks like my kinda movie :)

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 Movie Addicts Club. All rights reserved.
Free WordPress Themes Presented by EZwpthemes.
Bloggerized by Miss Dothy