RSS
Movie Addicts Club is a movie review blog that discusses all genres of film. You'll find the latest hipster indie flick, summer blockbusters, silent screen gems and everything in between. We watch and review everything.

The Tale of Despereaux




Rating: G

Movie Release Date: December 19, 2008

DVD Release Date: April 7, 2009

Plot 411: This is the tale of a courageous mouse who isn't afraid to be different.

Review: This wasn't exactly what I expected but it was watchable (probably only the one time). What animated film isn't, right? Like most fairy tales, there's a narrator who does the whole, "Once upon a time" thing. I actually found her (Sigouney Weaver) to be quite boring and unnecessary. But for all I know, they're just copying an effect from the original book. I thought the main idea of a heroic mouse had so much potential but was left waiting for more. To me, the movie seemed pretty flat throughout. There was never really a moment where I felt like I was rooting for Despereaux. In fact, the movie didn't even really seem to be about Despereaux as much as I'd have liked it to be. I really enjoyed the animation techniques though. It really had that storybook feel to it with its warm tones and lighting. It's as if I was watching the pages of a book come to life. Definitely a great effect. The scenes had the ability to pull you into their world. Big time names helped out with the vocal talent - Matthew Broderick, Dustin Hoffman, Emma Watson, Tracey Ullman, Kevin Kline, William H. Macy and Stanley Tucci.

Watch It: With the kids because they'll get a kick out of Despereaux's huge ears.

Skip It: If you don't have to watch it. It's not one of those cool kid films made for adults.

Trailer:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 Movie Addicts Club. All rights reserved.
Free WordPress Themes Presented by EZwpthemes.
Bloggerized by Miss Dothy