RSS
Movie Addicts Club is a movie review blog that discusses all genres of film. You'll find the latest hipster indie flick, summer blockbusters, silent screen gems and everything in between. We watch and review everything.

Bright Star




Rating: PG

Movie Release Date: September 18, 2009

DVD Release Date: January 26, 2010

Plot 411: The trying love affair between poet John Keats and his muse Fanny Braune from start to end.

Review: I really enjoyed this movie because it was able to capture a deep love affair in a very unique way. It managed to use a lot of dialogue (and poetic language) to convey powerful emotions. Granted, back then people just seemed to speak more lyrically and poetically (we're all but savages now). I haven't really studied John Keats at all but, despite that, I still knew when his poems were being used because of how the words were delivered. That's definitely attributed to the actors. It could be just me, but I really felt consumed by the love between John (Ben Whishaw) and Fanny (Abbie Cornish). Even though I knew the ending, I still found myself hoping this would work out for them. I mean, how could a perfect love - one that surpasses barriers like class status, financial situations and peer pressure - not last for eternity? Everything - from the wooing to the proclamations of love - was done within the strict social order of the day and a glance or a secret smile told a lot. Even a brush of fingers against one another became something so much more. Nowadays, this type of romance just doesn't happen. It makes me sad for today's lovers.

Watch It: For an almost perfect love affair and to perhaps understand Keats' poetry better.

Skip It: Because unfortunately it's like Romeo and Juliet - a love of a lifetime that just doesn't survive.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 Movie Addicts Club. All rights reserved.
Free WordPress Themes Presented by EZwpthemes.
Bloggerized by Miss Dothy