RSS
Movie Addicts Club is a movie review blog that discusses all genres of film. You'll find the latest hipster indie flick, summer blockbusters, silent screen gems and everything in between. We watch and review everything.

Oldboy




Rating: R

Movie Release Date: November 21, 2003 (South Korea) / March 25, 2005 (USA)

DVD Release Date: August 23, 2005

Plot 411: A man is locked up for 15 years and when he is released he searches for the answers and revenge.

Review: This movie certainly lived up to my expectations. As mentioned in my review of Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, I had heard really good things about this film. The storyline was great and kept you guessing all the way through. It wasn't at all predictable. There was a lot more action in this film than the last. This is definitely a must-see for any Quentin Tarantino lovers as it is in the same vein as his movies . . . except it seems to be a whole lot better.

Watch It: For an intriguing plot and violent action sequences.

Skip It: If you're too faint of heart as the subject matter is one that isn't usually covered in mainstream media.

Trailer:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Watched "Oldboy" a few years back and got me interested in Korean films. May I recommend a couple from Ki-duk Kim, "3-Iron" and "Spring, Summer, Winter...and Spring." Quite different from the "Oldboy" action thriller but I really loved the quiet, meditative nature of his films. Pace may be a little slow for some though.

I'm currently watching Yasujiro Ozu's "Early Spring" who I suspect may have been an influence for Ki-duk Kim. Same methodical development of character and story and beautifully filmed. I think Ozu can be mentioned as one of Japan's finest director as his contemporary, Akira Kurosawa.

hemajang

skycastles said...

Thanks for the suggestions hemajang. I'll definitely add them to my list of must-sees. I've got Sympathy for Lady Vengeance coming in soon too. Hopefully it's as good as the other two.

I'm ashamed to say I think I've only watched one Kurosawa film in its entirety (Rashomon). I've caught snippets of others but have never sat down to really watch them. These are on my list as well.

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 Movie Addicts Club. All rights reserved.
Free WordPress Themes Presented by EZwpthemes.
Bloggerized by Miss Dothy