RSS
Movie Addicts Club is a movie review blog that discusses all genres of film. You'll find the latest hipster indie flick, summer blockbusters, silent screen gems and everything in between. We watch and review everything.

Into The Wild




Rating: R

Movie Release Date: September 21, 2007

DVD Release Date: March 4, 2008

Plot 411: Based on the true story of Christopher McCandless, a guy who gave up almost all of his possessions to finally be free.

Review: Holy crap, I cannot believe I haven't reviewed this movie yet! It is one of the best movies I've ever seen. Perhaps it's because it tugs at the hidden idealism within me? Perhaps it's because it calls to my hidden adventurer? I don't really know, but when I first saw this film I had to learn more about Christopher McCandless, the person upon which this movie is based. I watched the documentary, The Call Of The Wild, and set Google ablaze with all my searches. Emile Hirsch plays the starring role, and for me, this is his best effort to date (even though I like him in many other films). Chris was a college student who embarked on a journey of self-discovery, independence and freedom. Being disillusioned with the capitalist world he lived in, he donated half of the money his parents gave him for college and took off to see the world. He hitchhiked around the U.S. and took odd jobs here or there. His life alternated between solitude and society. His ultimate goal was to test himself in Alaska. The themes are pretty heavy in this movie, but I found them quite inspirational. On one hand, Chris is the ultimate dreamer who went after those dreams. He didn't let anything stand in his way. Leaving all your worldly possessions behind, overcoming society's pressure to live a certain way and creating situations where you can only depend on yourself are all pretty huge deals. The fact that this guy did it is pretty amazing. Of course, the rational part of your brain is shouting what an idiot Chris was. Also in this film are Marcia Gay Harden, William Hurt, Jena Malone, Catherine Keener, Vince Vaughn, Kristen Stewart and Zach Galifianakis.

Watch It: If, like me, you're not normally a risk taker or even an idealist. This will give you something to think about.

Skip It: If, perhaps, you're more of a realist as some of Chris' actions are definitely illogical and foolhardy.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 Movie Addicts Club. All rights reserved.
Free WordPress Themes Presented by EZwpthemes.
Bloggerized by Miss Dothy