RSS
Movie Addicts Club is a movie review blog that discusses all genres of film. You'll find the latest hipster indie flick, summer blockbusters, silent screen gems and everything in between. We watch and review everything.

The Lake House




Rating: PG

Movie Release Date: June 16, 2006

DVD Release Date: September 26, 2006

Plot 411: Two lovers separated by time live in the same space, a glass house by the lake.

Review: Has anyone watched this movie recently? I don't think I've seen it since it first came out and remember being quite baffled by the space/time continuum with which this moving is working. Alex (Keanu Reeves) lives in 2004 and has moved to a run-down house on the lake. He falls in love with it and is determined to renovate it. Upon entering the home, he finds a letter from its previous tenant Kate (Sandra Bullock). Kate, however, lives in the year 2006. The two communicate via letters left in the mailbox and soon develop a long-distance (hardy har har) relationship of sorts. The theory behind this movie is really intriguing even though I'm not quite sure the timeline actually works out. I can't seem to wrap my mind around how two people living in separate times can work. Please, all you sci-fi lovers, explain this one to me. This is the first movie since Speed that stars both Reeves and Bullock. What's weird is that they're not in too many scenes together because they're living in different time periods. Why would they waste such a reunion on a script like this? This movie is full of sentimentality and the idea of destined romances. Some part of me is attracted to that idea (similar to Shakespeare's star-crossed lovers), but I'm not sure it works in this movie. I suppose if you just go with it, you'll be fine.

Watch It: For the love story and just let everything else disappear.

Skip It: If you need to find rhyme and reason behind everything.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I heard of this movie and didn't see it but it dawned on me after reading your review that I've seen the Korean version titled "Il Mare" Maybe you can watch it and see if the Korean version works better for you. It's been a while since I view it but recalled a touching relationship through letters. I felt movie was more romantic than sci-fi. hemajang.

skycastles said...

Hey hema,

Yeah, I heard this was based on a Korean movie so I'll definitely try to check it out. It's probably a lot better :)

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 Movie Addicts Club. All rights reserved.
Free WordPress Themes Presented by EZwpthemes.
Bloggerized by Miss Dothy