RSS
Movie Addicts Club is a movie review blog that discusses all genres of film. You'll find the latest hipster indie flick, summer blockbusters, silent screen gems and everything in between. We watch and review everything.

The Spirit




Rating: PG-13

Movie Release Date: December 25, 2008

DVD Release Date: April 14, 2009

Plot 411: An undead cop is a masked avenger in a city full of crime.

Review: I hated this movie despite the fact that I completely loved the Spirit's deep, throaty voice. This is the main reason I didn't eject the dvd after a mere 10 minutes. I couldn't get into the plot at all. Perhaps it's because I'm not a comic book fan and am not familiar with this character? Maybe it's because the movie is targeted at guys and girls aren't meant to get it? I'm not sure. But, in any case, this was completely bizarre to me. I enjoyed 300 and thought Sin City was watchable, but I couldn't get with the program on this one. For those of you who don't know, the Spirit used to be a cop named Denny. He died but came back to life. Now he's a masked crime fighter who helps cops bring in bad guys. Ok, that I get. What I don't get is why women are drawn to the Spirit like he's some kind of rock star. I don't get why he keeps seeing a woman who I interpret to be the messenger of death and why she seems to be in love with him too. Also, what's up with the weird Parisan girl, the demented doctor and his assistant? Someone please explain this to me. One undeniably cool thing was the graphic novel feel that the movie had. Of course, with Frank Miller behind the wheel it's bound to look amazing. The cool black/white contrast; the odd camera angle selections; the incredible CGI work - all of this was amazing. Oh and the Spirit's voice. Did I mention it's to die for?

Watch It: Mostly if you're a Frank Miller fan or into comics.

Skip It: If you're clueless about the world of graphic novels.

Trailer:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 Movie Addicts Club. All rights reserved.
Free WordPress Themes Presented by EZwpthemes.
Bloggerized by Miss Dothy